Today there are many prophets and prophetesses. How do we respond to this?
What is a prophet?
A1 Old Testament
- B1 God gave a message to the prophet/prophetess. This message might be to repent, what to do, what not to do, guidance for someone seeking God's wisdom, a message about the future, or of judgment.
- B2 In our passage here, God gives a message to Ezekiel to tell the leaders of Israel of judgment because of their sins.
- B3 They are confirmed by encouraging the worship of Yahweh only and their words come true (Deuteronomy 13:1-5, Deuteronomy 18:20-22).
A2 New Testament
- B1 The same as the Old Testament except there were apostles to certify that they are true.
- B2 No prophets are mentioned after the last apostle--John.
- B3 The prophets in the New Testament era and dispensation are Agabus and the daughters of Philip.
- B4 The so-called prophets of today are either self certified or confirmed by apostles who are self certified.
- B5 The Bible is the only source of 100% truth and has all that we need.
Some other sources: here and here.