Theme: What is heaven really like?
Know: Heaven will involve a new earth that is full of the goodness of God and will be devoid of any of the negative effects of sin. The new earth will include the things of this world restored to fulfill their purpose.
Think: As an eternal being, my mindset should reflect God’s eternal purpose and values.
Do: Live each temporary moment to fulfill your eternal purpose, working to bring all things back into harmony with God’s design.
Notes and questions:
B1 What is heaven?
- Old Testament teaches
- There is the atmosphere of earth (Genesis 1:9, Genesis 1:20, Isaiah 55:10, etc.), the universe (Genesis 1:14-17, Genesis 15:5, Isaiah 13:9-10, etc.), and God’s home (1 Kings 8:30, Psalms 14:2, Isaiah 66:1, Daniel 2:28, etc.).
- People will live in that holy place (Isaiah 57:15, Psalm 15).
- New Testament teaches
- What’s not in heaven: wicked (Matthew 13:4), death (Luke 20:34-35), sorrow (Revelation 21:1-4), sin (Revelation 21:27), curse (Revelation 22:3).
- What is in heaven: God (Isaiah 57:5), holy, elect angels (Hebrews 12:22), believers (Hebrews 13:22-24), righteousness (2 Peter 3:13), joy (Romans 14:7).
B2 How does a person get to heaven? See here: http://www.needgod.com/001.shtml
B3 Do you look forward to going to heaven?
B4 Genesis 1:26-30,
- What state was the world when God created it? (Good).
- Why isn’t it good now? What happened? (rebellion by Adam. See Genesis 3:1-13).
- What is unique about humans?
- What job did God assign Adam?
- Who provided for their needs?
B5 Genesis 2:15-25,
- What was Adam to do in the Garden of Eden?
- What instruction did God give Adam? Did Adam understand this instruction?
- Why did God tell Adam to not eat of the tree of the Knowledge of Good and Evil? (All good teachers test. God instructed. Now, God tests. Also, a person’s loyalty must be tested).
- Did Adam pass the test?
- What is God’s purpose in Genesis 2:24?
- Why were Adam and Eve not ashamed of nakedness?
B6 Revelation 21:1-22:5,
- Why was there a need to have a new heaven and new earth? (The old ones were contaminated by sin).
- What is God’s attitude, motivation, and acts towards His people?
- Is Revelation 21:6 a genuine invitation to believe the Gospel?
- What are we to overcome in Revelation 21:7?
- Name some of the special things of the New Jerusalem.
- Why is it important to have our name in the Lamb’s Book of Life?
- What is special about the river in the New Jerusalem?
- What good thing happens to those who read, study, and believe the words of the book of Revelation?
- Why did John fall down to worship the angel?
B7 Some more points about heaven from Torrey Topical Handbook:
- Created by God Genesis 1:1; Revelation 10:6
- Everlasting Psalm 89:29; 2 Corinthians 5:1
- Immeasurable Jeremiah 31:37
- High Psalm 103:11; Isaiah 57:15
- Holy Deuteronomy 26:15; Psalm 20:6; Isaiah 57:15
- God's dwelling-place 1 Kings 8:30; Matthew 6:9
- God's throne Isaiah 66:1; Acts 7:49
- Is the Lord of Daniel 5:23; Matthew 11:25
- Reigns in
- Psalm 11:4; Psalm 135:6; Daniel 4:35
- Fills 1 Kings 8:27; Jeremiah 23:24
- Answers his people from 1 Chronicles 21:26; 2 Chronicles 7:14; Nehemiah 9:27; Psalm 20:6
- Sends his judgments from Genesis 19:24; 1 Samuel 2:10; Daniel 4:13; Daniel 4:14; Romans 1:18
- As Mediator, entered into Acts 3:21; Hebrews 6:20; Hebrews 9:12; Hebrews 9:24
- Is all-powerful in Matthew 28:18; 1Peters 3:22
- Angels are in Matthew 18:10; Matthew 24:36
- Names of saints are written Luke 10:20; Hebrews 12:23
- Saints rewarded in Matthew 5:12; 1 Peter 1:4
- Repentance occasions joy in Luke 15:7
- Lay up treasure in Matthew 6:20; Luke 12:33
- Flesh and blood cannot inherit 1 Corinthians 15:50
- Happiness of, described Revelation 7:16; Revelation 7:17
B8 A basic timeline: Church (this is now)->Rapture->Bema seat Judgment (where the resurrected and raptured saints are judged)->Tribulation->Armageddon->Return of Messiah to Mt Olives->Judgment of Sheep and Goats (this is Old Testament saints and Tribulation saints)->Marriage Supper of the Lamb->Millennium->Satan loosed at end of Millennium->Great White Throne Judgment (this is the judgment of all non-believers)->New Heavens and New Earth (God lives with humanity. This the fulfillment of Genesis 1 creation where Adam rebelled (Genesis 3)).
B9 Heaven is where God lives and rules. This will be wonderful (Revelation 21:3). The Lord Jesus came to reconcile humanity and Himself (Philippians 2:5-11 and John 1:14-18).
B10 What are some ways that heaven affects us now?
B11 Does the promise of heaven affect the way we live and witness?
B12 What is God’s eternal purpose?
- To show God’s character (Ephesians 3:9-11, Titus 3:4)
- To show God’s love (1 Corinthians 1:21, John 3:16, Romans 5:6-8, Ephesians 2:4, 1 John 4:9-10)
- To glorify His Son, the Lord Jesus (Acts 4:28, Romans 8:28-29, Hebrews 1:1-6)
- To provide salvation for humanity (who meets His conditions) (John 12-27, 1 Corinthians 2:7-8, Galatians 1:4, Ephesians 1:5-10, Ephesians 3:12)
B13 How does God’s eternal purposes affect our lives today?
B14 How can we live doing God’s purpose for us? (Compare 1 Thessalonians 5:18, 1 Peter 2:15, 1 John 2:17)