People lie about us.
Why do people lie?
Three common reasons are:
1. Escape accountability.
2. Get access to things that they wouldn’t otherwise have.
3. Embellish reality.
The Bible says this about people who lie about us:
- Because they hate us: Proverbs 26:24-28 GodsWord Whoever is filled with hate disguises it with his speech, but inside he holds on to deceit. When he talks charmingly, do not trust him because of the seven disgusting things in his heart. His hatred is deceitfully hidden, but his wickedness will be revealed to the community. Whoever digs a pit will fall into it. Whoever rolls a stone will have it roll back on him. A lying tongue hates its victims, and a flattering mouth causes ruin.
- Because their conscious is seared, that is, they do not feel guilt: I Timothy 4:1-2 GodsWord The Spirit says clearly that in later times some believers will desert the Christian faith. They will follow spirits that deceive, and they will believe the teachings of demons. These people will speak lies disguised as truth. Their consciences have been scarred as if branded by a red-hot iron.
- The Psalmist experienced this. This is also a prophecy about Messiah Jesus: Psalms 41:5-13 GodsWord My enemies say terrible things about me: "When will he die, and when will his family name disappear?" When one of them comes to visit me, he speaks foolishly. His heart collects gossip. Then he leaves to tell others. Everyone who hates me whispers about me. They think evil things about me and say, "A devilish disease has attached itself to him. He will never leave his sickbed." Even my closest friend whom I trusted, the one who ate my bread, has lifted his heel against me. Have pity on me, O LORD! Raise me up so that I can pay them back and my enemy cannot shout in triumph over me. When you do this, I know that you are pleased with me. You defend my integrity, and you set me in your presence forever. Thank the LORD God of Israel through all eternity! Amen and amen!
- Jesus experienced it, too. Matthew 26:59-68 GodsWord The chief priests and the whole council were searching for false testimony to use against Jesus in order to execute him. But they did not find any, although many came forward with false testimony. At last two men came forward. They stated, "This man said, 'I can tear down God's temple and rebuild it in three days.'" The chief priest stood up and said to Jesus, "Don't you have any answer to what these men testify against you?" But Jesus was silent. Then the chief priest said to him, "Swear an oath in front of the living God and tell us, are you the Messiah, the Son of God?" Jesus answered him, "Yes, I am. But I can guarantee that from now on you will see the Son of Man in the highest position in heaven. He will be coming on the clouds of heaven." Then the chief priest tore his robes in horror and said, "He has dishonored God! Why do we need any more witnesses? You've just heard him dishonor God! What's your verdict?" They answered, "He deserves the death penalty!" Then they spit in his face, hit him with their fists, and some of them slapped him. They said, "You Christ, if you're a prophet, tell us who hit you."
Sometimes people will not believe us, even when we tell the truth.
What to do?
5 Verses That Help Me Understand
- Truth is more important than lying: Proverbs 19:22 GodsWord Loyalty is desirable in a person, and it is better to be poor than a liar.
- The truth will be revealed some day, some time and liars will be punished: Proverbs 19:5 GodsWord A lying witness will not go unpunished. One who tells lies will not escape.
- The Lord Jesus stayed silent: Matthew 26:63 GodsWord But Jesus was silent. Then the chief priest said to him, "Swear an oath in front of the living God and tell us, are you the Messiah, the Son of God?"
- I have the example of the Lord Jesus: I Peter 2:23 GodsWord Christ never verbally abused those who verbally abused him. When he suffered, he didn't make any threats but left everything to the one who judges fairly.
- God honors those who tell and live the truth: Matthew 5:11 WEL You are blessed when people verbally abuse and persecute you and say all kinds of evil, wicked things about you falsely for my sake.